Scholarships are awarded per incoming applicant. Students qualifying for these scholarships should refer to the admissions department for more information. Scholarships apply one time ONLY to the semester in which the student seeks enrollment.
Scholarship for Premedical Applicants
Incoming Premedical applicants must meet one of the following criteria:
- GPA of 3.0 or greater qualifies for up $2,000.00
- SAT of 1800 or greater qualifies for up to $2,000.00
- ACT of 26 or greater qualifies for up to $2,000.00
Scholarship for Basic Science Applicants
Incoming Basic Science applicants must meet the following:
(must be an undergraduate student to be eligible)
- Enrolled for semesters MD1, MD2, MD3 and MD4
- GPA of 3.0 or higher qualifies for up to $2,000.00
- MCAT 24 to 29 qualifies for up to $1,750.00
- MCAT 30 to 34 qualifies for up to $2,250.00
- MCAT 35 or greater qualifies for up to $3,500.00
Scholarship for Transfer Applicants,
Students transferring from another medical school may qualify for up to $1,000.00 scholarship (one-time toward first semester tuition).
USMLE STEP 1 Scholarship
(also available for currently enrolled Avalon students)
In addition, students may qualify for the following USMLE Step 1 scholarships:
- Passing score up to 199 after July 2013, qualifies for $500.00 one-time
- Score of 200 to 224 after July 2013, qualifies for $750.00 one-time
- Score of 225 and above after July 2013, qualifies for $1,000.00 one-time
Dean’s Award: Academic Vision
This academically based scholarship is awarded to students who excel in their studies. Students applying for this scholarship must submit a one to two page essay expressing the importance of academic education. Applicants should also include their vision for the future. It is key to remember that as medical students you will be continuously learning and growing during your journey to becoming a physician. The monetary amount awarded for this scholarship will be determined by the Academic Committee.
Avalon Grant: Hardship
Applicants wishing to apply for the Avalon Grant must show a financial need for this grant. In a one to two page essay please explain how a financial hardship has molded you into the student you are today. These hardships can vary from the simplest struggles to the major road blocks you have experienced in your lifetime. We become the people and doctors we are today because we refused to let hardships hold us back. The monetary amount awarded for this scholarship will be determined by the Academic Committee.